Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Apocalypse Now


Apocalypse Now is an action filled movie about the Vietnam War that also has its share of funny and emotional undertones that give the movie more substance than the major box office films we are exposed to today. Apocalypse Now is a story that centers around Captain Willard, an experienced soldier who has been given the most important mission of his career- to terminate the command of a fellow soldier, Colonel Kurtz, who has gone insane and completely lost sight of the line between good and evil. The rest of the movie follows Captain Willard throughout his top secret mission to find and kill Kurtz, a mission that he struggles with as he finds out more and more about Kurtz's decorated history in the Army.

I found this movie to be quite confusing for someone who isn't a complete history buff and who doesn't know every single detail about the Vietnam War. I didn't understand some of the scenes when they would bomb villages that seemingly housed innocent natives, and what also seemed like a lot of unnecessary killing. It bored me, and I thought that Williard track "up the river" to find Kurtz's camp was far too drawn out and uneventful. The most exciting part, to me, of that whole hour long journey was when they took the puppy from the boat that they seached after they brutally killed one of its passengers. I sensed the emotional undertones of the storyline; the constant struggle between good and evil, and how to define what each is during a time of war. This movie had somewhat of a heart, but I thought a lot of the content was confusing and overly emphasized the blood and guts aspect of war. I think that they tried too hard to make this a movie that meant something, but still trying to keep it a testosterone pumped action movie. I just didn't care for it and it is just going to be another movie that I've seen that I don't really care to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment